Everyone today is in a panic state. The reason being just one – the Corona Pandemic. What exactly is this ‘Corona pandemic’? Well, the Coronavirus or more specifically COVID-19 disease is caused by a novel strain of virus called the COVID-19 virus. The outbreak of this disease was in Wuhan city of China. The disease is referred to as ‘pandemic’ because of its spread occurring in wide geographical regions and affecting an exceptionally larger proportion of the population.
Since COVID-19 has been spreading like a wildfire, it has become very much essential for everybody to know about it in detail. Let us start with the causal organism. It is a viral disease caused by the COVID-19 virus.
The virus is said to reach humans via carriers like bats and snakes.
You can ask why such a hue and cry about this viral disease? Even the common cold and cough are caused by a virus but we are cured of it in a few days without taking any medicines.
Then what is so deadly about COVID-19?
Well, the deadly part of this disease is its superfast mode of transmission. The Corona disease is transmitted through the droplets of nasal discharge and saliva of the infected person. If you are standing too close to the infected person and these droplets are showered on you, the virus finds its way into your nose and from there to your respiratory tract.
The virus can also spread through the objects or surfaces touched by the infected person. These include doorknobs, electric switches, mobiles, laptops, water bottles, and likely items.
Once the virus has gained access to your body, it affects the respiratory system the most. The symptoms of Corona disease include dry cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, runny nose, high fever, tiredness, aches, and pains. Acute symptoms may include diarrhea and nausea.
The virus attacks vehemently if the immune system of a person is compromised. The symptoms manifest very quickly, that if not taken care of properly prove to be fatal.
So the best possible way to deal with this disease is to prevent it from occurring.
Yes, you heard me right. The best arsenal to fight Corona is to exercise precautions to prevent its occurrence. And who should be the most cautious group? Well, children and the elderly need to be the most cautious as they fall into the category of most vulnerable.
How to Prevent COVID – 19?
So let us understand how we can avoid countering Corona. Get set go.
- Practice social distancing, i.e. avoid being in groups. You never know who is infected in the crowd.
- Avoid crowded areas and unnecessary travel.
- Avoid handshakes
- Wear masks
- If you see a person coughing or sneezing, immediately move away from the person; maintain a distance of 3-6 feet between you and him.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use some alcohol-based hand rub or sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your face and nose with unwashed hands.
- Cough or sneeze on your flexed elbow or use a disposable tissue. Immediately dispose of the used tissue in a closed waste bin.
- Stay isolated at home.
- If someone at your home is required to go out, then isolate the person. Don’t share his or her things and maintain a safe distance from him/her.
- Eat immune-booster food items like citrus fruits, nuts, jaggery.
- Refrain from activities like smoking that weakens the lungs.
- Consult the doctor immediately if you feel the symptoms.
So the old saying ‘Prevention is better than cure’ stands true for the nasty disease Corona. So everybody, follow the preventive measures and stay safe! Let us stay united and say ….