Suppose you are in a class and the teacher is teaching a very important concept. It is difficult for us to remember everything taught in the class in the same order. Also in our daily lives, it is not possible to memorize everything. To overcome this difficulty, one notes down important details. These notes help us in the time of need. The noting down of useful concepts and points is the basis of what one says note making. In this section, we will study note making and note making format.
Note Making is a way of recording important details from a source. This source can be any book, article, meeting or any oral discussion. In note making, the writer records the essence of the information. It helps us to understand and clarify thinking. Note making saves a lot of time by going through the notes made. One can get a glimpse of a lot of information from a short note.
Advantages of Note Making
A note making is a skill which improves by practicing. There are some advantages of note making. Let us get to know some of them.
- It has great importance in exams or in academic writing
- It is an organization of main points for future use
- Note making helps in keeping the information handy whenever we require
- It helps in recollecting and recalling the past events said or heard
- It helps in concentrating, understanding and provides a permanent record
- Note making format helps a writer to go through bulky documents quicker
- It helps in understanding a material if the notes are in own words
- It distinguishes between main points and details
Note Making Format
There is a fixed note making format. One needs to follow this note making format in order to have a clear and unambiguous understanding from it. The note making format has-
It shows the title or the heading of note.
As the name suggests, a subheading is a subdivision of the main topic. One can use as many subheadings as he or she wants.
Below subheading, there are some points which are the part of the main topics.
One can add more headings below the points for showing the category, types, advantages, etc.
Key or Keywords
The key portion of the note shows the various codes, symbols or the abbreviation used. It helps to get a clear understanding of the keys used in the note making format.
The Procedure of Note Making
- Read the passage provided
- Underline the important sentences. It helps to make headings and subheadings
- Make a rough note first so as to get an idea
- Organize them in logical order or sequence for the final note
- Use the appropriate note making format
- Do not change the idea or the message of the passage
Points to Remember for Note Making Format
- Avoid using long sentences as heading or title
- Never lose the main idea of the passage
- Ignore information which is less important
- Be brief, clear, and specific
- Use logical sequencing
- Use proper indention
- Leave no spaces to avoid confusion
- Do not include your own version or understandings
- Use abbreviations
- Make your note more memorable by adding colors, drawings, and symbols
Note Making Format
A note making involves the selection, analysis, summarization, and organization of information. There are different note making format. Let us make ourselves familiar with them.
Split – page Format (A narrative note making format method)
In this method, the page is divided into two columns. The first column had the standard notes. The second column will have a summary. This is the most common note making format to note down lecture notes.
Diagram / Pattern format (A visual note making format method)
In this method, the information is presented by a diagram. The main topic is linked together by related ideas. This method is visually more appealing and easy to understand.
Mind Map (A visual note making method)
In this method, the main points and all the related points are presented through a map. It contains text and images both. For a clear understanding, the information is linked in the proper sequence.
Outline Format (A visual note making format method)
In this method, the information is presented as an outline. Proper titles and subtitles are numbered accordingly for this outline.
Question and Prompt Format (A visual note making format method)
In this method, the main points are highlighted as a series of questions and appropriate answers. It helps in revising the note in an easy way.
Solved Example for You
Problem: A person really wants to remember the information the speaker is providing. What should he need to do?
- Listen for non – verbal clues
- Listen for verbal clues
- Write down the important details
- None of the above
Solution: 3. Write down the important details.
Problem: Why is it important to take notes?
- Helps you remember
- Improves your concentration level
- Helps you prepare for tests
- All of the above
Solution: 4. All of the above.