In every organization, irrespective of their size, communication among the employees is crucial. Internal communication in an organization between superiors and employees, between departments, amongst the department, is one of the keys to their success. One such tool of official communication is circulars. Let us study them in detail.
A circular is essentially a letter containing some important information that is distributed to a large number of people. Say for example you have to invite an entire department for a meeting, or update the dress policy for the whole office – a circular will be the best mode of communication for these purposes.
Additionally, circulars also find use as advertising tools. They can contain marketing information and have a wide distribution range. Be it for inter-departmental communication, advertising or even personal reasons a circular must always reach a large number of correspondents. This is one of its main features.
Browse more Topics under Official Communication
Let us also take a look at some of the advantages of a circular
- It is a very simple and effective way of communication. Since it is precise and written, very little chance of miscommunication
- It is also quite inexpensive. It is a cost-effective way of communication.
- Circulars are also a time-saving method. It reaches a large number of people in very limited time and effort.
- They are great advertising and marketing tools as well. They can help create a new market, educate people about the product or services and also increase consumer confidence in the company and the product.
A Sample of a Circular
Let us see how circulars effectively communicate information in an inter-office situation. The following is a sample circular to inform employees about the revised working hours of the company.
Circular No. ____
25th October 2018
Revised Working Hours
All Employees of XYZ Company,
This is to inform all employees there will be a change in the working hours of the organization effective immediately. As you know we now do not function on any Saturdays since last month. So we only have 5 working days in a week, a revision in the working hours was necessary to ensure the quality of work does not suffer. Hence one hour will be added to the previous 9 hour work days. The revised working hour will be as follows:
- Working Days: Monday to Friday (except holidays)
- Working Hours: 8:30 am to 6:30 pm (These hours will include the one-hour lunch break)
All employees are requested to note these new and revised timings. The timings are effective immediately from 26 October 2018. Punctuality and adherence to the new timings are requested. Repeated defaulters will face action. Please contact the HR department or your managers for any queries you may have.
CEO of XYZ Company.
Solved Question on Circulars
Q: Circulars ____ the efforts to be taken by management considerably.
Ans: The correct answer is A. Circulars are a very cost-effective method of communication. They also require limited time and effort. So they reduce the efforts of the management. They can reach a huge number of correspondents in minimum time and effort.
Thus, this concludes our discussion on the given topic.