One important aspect of communication is business communication, also known as formal communication. Formal letters, memos, circulars etc are all forms of business communication. Another important tool of the same is a notice. Let us learn the meaning of notices and details of notice-writing.
Notices are a means of formal communication targetted at a particular person or a group of persons. It is like a news item informing such person or persons of some important event. This can be an invitation to a meeting, an announcement of any event, to issue certain instructions, make appeals etc.
It is generally written and then displayed at a public place, where it is accessible to all. They can be pasted on notice boards. If it is meant for a wider audience it can even be published in a newspaper. The government when it issues notices must publish it in national and local papers.
(A Sample of a Notice)
Learn more about Formal Letters here in detail.
Since notices are a formal document it should follow a structure or a format. Keep in mind there is no one correct rigid format. Different formats used by different people/organizations can show some variations. But it is ideal to follow a somewhat similar format for ease of understanding and uniformity. Let us look at the most used format of notices.
- Name of Issuing Organization/Authority: Right at the very top, you print the name of the person or company that is issuing the said notices. This will help the reader identify the notices as important or unimportant to him.
- Title: When writing notices we mention a title “NOTICE” at the top. This helps draw attention to the document. Notices are generally posted at a public place or published in newspapers. It is important that they do not get lost in a sea of information. So a bold title clearly mentioned helps draw the attention.
- Date: After the tile to the left-hand side we print the date on which the notices have been published. Since this is a formal document date is an important aspect of it since these documents stay on record.
- Heading: Then we move on to an appropriate heading to the notices. This heading should make abundantly clear the purpose of the notices.
- Body: After the heading, we write the brief and to the point body of the notice. The main content of the notice features in the body.
- Writer’s Name: At the end of the notices we write the name and designation of the notice-writer. The notices have to also be signed by the same person to lend it authority and validity.
Notices should cover some important points that are to be communicated to the readers. Let us summarize the five points that the content of the notice will cover, the five W’s
- What: What is the notice about? The notice should be clear about what is going to happen (event), or what has already happened (occasion). This is the crux of the message and should be written clearly. There should not be any ambiguity.
- Where: If the notice is about an event, then the location of such an event must be written clearly. The venue or the location are important details, so make sure to include this in the notice.
- When: This is the time and the date of the event or meeting. If possible the duration of the event should also be mentioned to people can schedule their time accordingly.
- Who: This will be who the notice is addressed to. Who all are suppose to adhere to the notice should be clearly mentioned to avoid confusion.
- Whom: And final detail should be whom to contact or get in touch with. This mentions who the appropriate authority is to contact.
Learn more about Letter Writing here in detail.
Tips to Remember regarding Notice Writing
- Be precise and to the point. The ideal length of notice is 50 words, so precise language is appreciated.
- It is a formal form of communication so the language used should be formal as well. No flowery text.
- Keep the sentences short and use simple words. Since notices are fairly brief it is best to keep it simple.
- Use passive voice as far as possible.
- Present your notices in a proper format in a box. The presentation should be neat and thus be appealing to the eye.
Solved Example for You
Q: On the occasion of Diwali your housing society has planned a feast for all its members. As the chairman of your society write a notice inviting all the members of the society to this gathering. Provide all the necessary details.
ABC Co-operative Housing Society
25th October 2017.
On the auspicious occasion of Diwali, the Society has organized a gathering followed by dinner. All members of the society are requested to attend the event in the clubhouse of the society at 8:00 pm on the 30th of October.
Chairman of ABC Co-operative Housing Society