We all know that our cars run on petrol and diesel, types of non-renewable fuel. And you also know that all governments around the world are making a big push for electric cars in an attempt to save precious fossil fuel. This is just one way for fuel conservation. Let us take a look at a few more methods.
A substance which upon combustion produces a useable amount of energy is known as fuel. For example fossil fuel, biogas, nuclear energy etc. In our current times, fuel conservation is one of our biggest concerns and it is important to remain informed. Let us take a look at the type of fuels
Properties of an Ideal Fuel
- An ideal fuel is cheap.
- An ideal fuel burns easily in the air at a moderate rate.
- It releases a large amount of energy.
- Ideal fuel is also renewable since it will help with fuel conservation.
Types of Fuels
Fuels can be divided into two categories. One is on the basis of its state, whether it a solid, liquid or a gas. Another way to classify fuel is on the basis of occurrence, whether it is natural or man-made. Let us take a look.
- Solid Fuel– State at room temperature are referred to as solid fuels. Examples wood, coal,
- Liquid Fuel– They are derived from the remains of dead plants and animals by exposure to heat and pressure in the earth’s crust. Example: petroleum, coal tar, oil, Alcohols etc
- Gaseous Fuel– Gaseous fuels occur in nature. Most gaseous fuels are composed of hydrocarbons, carbon etc. Examples: Coal gas, hydrogen gas, oil gas
Learn more about the Classification of Resources here.
Fuel Conservation and Conservation of Natural Resources
Natural resources are very important for us. That is why it is necessary to take care of our natural wealth and use it judiciously. Ways and efforts for conservation mean protection. To live comfortably in the coming year, conservation of natural resources is extremely essential. We must preserve the greatest treasure of the earth, nature.
- Coal and petroleum which are also called fossil fuels or non- renewable energy resources. One way of fuel conservation is to avoid their wastage. Switching to alternative sources such as solar energy in the forms of solar heater, solar cookers, use of natural gas and wind energy are some ways to reduce their usage.
- We can also reduce the use of these natural resources by using public transport and carpool.
- Preference should be given to using renewable natural resources such as the sun and the wind. Windmills use wind energy to produce electricity. The solar energy is used to heat water, cook food and to generate electricity.
- Water can be conserved by building reservoirs. Rainwater harvesting can be adopted to conserve water.
- Environmental education plays an important role in creating awareness. Through environmental education, people come to know about their rights and duties towards nature.
- For creating environmental awareness seminar, workshops, exhibition, rallies, competition etc, play an important role.
- Along with the government voluntary organizations to work for environment and resources conservation.
- Conservation of soil can be done by preventing deforestation, using terrace farming and other soil conservation methods.
- Reducing the use and preventing wastage of electricity.
- The ever-growing population has disturbed the balance of demand and supply. Therefore it is necessary to create mass awareness to prevent population growth.
- Conserve of soil can be done by preventing deforestation and using terrace farming.
- Plants and trees can be conserved by planting more trees, using recycled paper products and avoiding the use of paper unnecessarily.
Although renewable resources get replenished easily, we must take care to use them wisely. If overuse causes a disturbance in the natural cycle of replenishment, then renewable sources would also be depleted, or not be fit to use. Therefore, there is an urgent need to conserve our natural resources.
Solved Questions for You
Q1. Besides oil, what else is found deep inside the earth?
Ans: Besides oil, coal minerals, natural gas also found deep inside the earth.
Q2. What are the different forms of petroleum?
Ans: Petrol, diesel, kerosene, LPG etc are all different forms of petroleum.