You know that there is a scarcity of water, but do you know how to save water? What is Water Management? Why is it necessary to save water? Let’s find out more about Water Management.
Water management is the activity of planning, developing, distributing and managing the optimum use of water resources. Water is a basic necessity. No living creature can live without water. There’s a scarcity of water. To avoid this scarcity, water is saved and managed efficiently.
Ways to Save Water
Some of the ways to save water are as follows :
- Water harvesting: The technique to save water is called water harvesting. In summers water level of rivers goes below, people do not have sufficient amount of water to drink like in Rajasthan. Hence it is important to save water. It can be done by two major processes:
- Rainwater harvesting: It is a method of collection and storage of rainwater into natural reservoirs or tanks or the infiltration of surface water into subsurface aquifers.
Groundwater harvesting: Groundwater harvesting is a method to save water placed under the ground to control the groundwater flow in an aquifer and to raise the water table.
- Drip irrigation: Drip irrigation is a type of irrigation which that saves water and fertilizer by dripping water slowly to the roots of various crops, either onto the soil surface or directly onto the root zone, through a network of valves, pipes, tubing, and emitters. This saves more water than the traditional watering method.
- Rainwater harvesting: Rainwater harvesting is the accumulation and deposition of rainwater for reuse on-site, rather than allowing it to run off. Here, rainwater is stored for further use.
- Water-wise habits: There are various wise habits to conserve water. Like during washing clothes we can utilize wise techniques to save water. Fixing leaky taps. Keeping the tap closed while brushing, taking a quick shower instead of long baths are a few examples of saving water.
Browse more Topics under Water A Precious Resource
- Depletion of Water Table
- Groundwater as an Important Source of Water
- Water Availability and Its Forms
Questions For You
Q1. Water harvesting is done by ____________ processes.
- Option a and option b
- None of the above
Sol. The correct answer is the option ‘c’. Water harvesting means storing rain where it falls or storing the runoff in your own village or town. And taking measures to keep that water clean by not allowing polluting activities to take place in our locality.
- Bawri was the traditional way of collecting water.
- With time the bawris fell into disuse and garbage started piling in these reservoirs.
- Because of the acute water shortage, people in these areas have had to rethink. The bawris are being revived
- All of the above.
The correct answer is the option ”d”. All of the following is true. Bawri was the traditional way of collecting water. with time the bawris fell into disuse and garbage started piling in these reservoirs. Because of the acute water shortage, people in these areas have had to rethink. The bawris are being revived.