National Awards are very important from the perspective of the banking and other graduate level exams. National Awards in India are a part of the Indian Honours System. In the following section, we will see many such awards and their respective fields. We will also try and list the most important achievements that were made by in the respective fields of science, commerce, defense, technology etc. The list of awards is extensive and the candidates are expected to consult as many resources as possible for a complete listing of the National Awards.
Let us first list the main awards that the Republic Of India gives the people. Let us start with the Civilian Awards. These awards are to be instituted irrespective of any distinction of race, occupation, caste, position, or gender.
The most important civilian awards in India are:
The Bharat Ratna: The Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of the country and was instituted in the year 1954. The recipients of the Bharat Ratna receive a Sanad (certificate) which the President of India signs himself. The award also presents a medallion.
The Padma Awards: These awards were instituted in 1954. They are announced every year on the Republic Day of India. In the years 1977 to 1980 and 1993 to 1997, these awards were not given to anyone. There are three categories of these awards:
- Padma Vibhushan: This is given for exceptional and distinguished service. This is the second highest civilian award in the Republic of India after the Bharat Ratna.
- Padma Bhushan: This is handed out for distinguished service of a high order. This is the third highest civilian award in India.
- Padma Shri: This award is given for a distinguished service. This is the fourth highest civilian award that the government of India hands out.
The Padma awards are just an honor and no cash or other benefits are a part of the Padma awards.
In the military awards we have the following categories:
Wartime gallantry awards:
- Param Vir Chakra: This is the highest military award that is awarded for gallantry on the battlefield.
- Maha Vir Chakra: The second highest military decoration in India is the Maha Vir Chakra. This award is given for the acts of evident gallantry in the presence of the enemy.
- Vir Chakra: Vir Chakra is the third highest military award.
- Sarvottam Yudh Seva Medal.
- Uttam Yudh Seva Medal.
- Yudh Seva Medal.
In addition to the wartime gallantry awards, India also has the Peacetime distinguished service awards.
- Sena Medal/ Naw Sena Medal / Vayusena Medal ( Is also a Wartime Gallantry Award)
- Param Vishist Seva Medal
- Ati Vishist Seva Meal
- Vishist Seva Medal
Awards For Women And Children
- Stree Shakti Puraskar ( For women)
- National Bravery Award (Children)
The following is a list of the literary awards in the Republic Of India:
- Jnanpith Award: This is the highest literary honor in Literature in India.
- Sahitya Akademi Award
- Sahitya Akademi Fellowship
- Saraswati Samman
- Bhasha Samman
- Translation Awards
- Anand Coomarswamy Fellowships
- Premchand Fellowship
National Sports Awards
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
- Drnacharya Award
- Arjuna Award
- Dhyan Chand Award
- C. K. Nayudu Award
There are similarly other awards that the Republic of India conforms to its citizens.
- National Bravery Award
- Bharat Award
- Sanjay Chopra Award
- Geeta Chopra Award
- Kritin Bhardwaj Award
- Sarvottam Jeevan Raksha Padak
- Uttam Jeevan Raksha Padak
- Jeevan Raksha Padak
In addition to these questions may be asked from other award and honours categories as well. For example, the Filmfare awards, State awards, Jio Awards, etc.
Questions On National Awards
Commit the following award recipients to memory:
National Geoscience Award for 2016: Keshav Krishna who is a scientist of National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI)
Bharatiya Jananpith Navlekhan Award 2016: Given to the two writers Shraddha and Ghyansham Kumar Devansh for their poem ‘Akash Mein Deh’
Power & Energy Persona’s Award for Individual Excellence: K M Singh who is the National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) Chairman and Managing Director
2016 National Entrepreneurship Awards: Rajiv Pratap Rudy recognizing the entrepreneurial spirit of India’s youth.
BCCI Lifetime Achievement Award: Awarded to Ms Shanta Rangaswamy, by the BCCI.
7th Dr Ambedkar award: Bappi Lahiri
Prestigious Agriculture Leadership Award 2017: Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao for his innovative services rendered to the welfare of farmers.
Arjuna Award 2017: Oinam Bembem Devi Durga of Indian football.
Dhyan Chand Award 2017: Samurai Tete, the former India Women’s Hockey captain.
The Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Award, 2018: Anushka Sharma.
Dadahaheb Phalke Excellence Awards 2018: Best actor (male) – Shahid Kapoor, Best actor people’s choice award – Ranveer Singh, Best actress (critics) – Aditi Rao Hydari, Lifetime achievement award – Simi Garewal.
The Sahitya Akademi Bhasha Samman award: Magahi writer Shesh Anand Madhukar.
Padma Vibhushan 2018: Illaiyaraja from Tamil Nadu for Art-Music, Ghulam Mustafa Khan from Maharashtra for Art-Music, Parameswaran Parameswaran from Kerala in Literature and Education.
Q 1: Who among these following won the Jeevan Raksha Padak 2016?
A) Shri Auchit Rao Shinde B) Altaf Ahmad Khan C) Shri Ramanand Sagar D) Shri Kailash Nath
Answer: B) Altaf Ahmad Khan
Q 2: Who among these following won the Bharat Ratna in 2001?
A) CNR Rao B) Sachin Tendulkar C) Bismillah Khan D) Chidambaram Subramaniam
Ans: C) Bismillah Khan