Ratio and proportion hold a special place in competitive exams. The questions from this topic is a very common occurrence. It is important to have enough practice for this questions to answer them in the exam. Here below are the ratios and proportion practice questions.
Browse more Topics under Ratios And Proportions
- Propotion Of Quantities
- Proportionals (Third, Fourth and Mean)
- Comparison of Ratios
- Invertendo, and Alternendo
- Componendo, and Dividendo
- Duplicate Ratios
Ratio and Proportion Practice Questions
Part 1: Basic ratio and proportion questions.
Directions: In this section, the questions asked are the basic ratio and proportion questions that can be asked in the exam.
1. Divide Rs. 1870 in three parts such that half of the first part, one-third of the second part and one-sixth of the third part are equal.
A. 270, 840, 1160 B. 341, 243, 245 C. 400, 800, 670 D. None of the above
2. A and B are the two alloys of copper and brass prepared by mixing metals in the proportion of 7:2 and 7:11 respectively. If the equal quantities of two alloys are melted to form a third alloy called C, then the proportion of copper and brass in C will be,
A. 5:9 B. 5:7 C. 7:5 D. 9:5
3. The incomes of X and Y are in the ratio of 3:2 and their expenditures are in the ratio of 5:3. If each of them saves Rs. 1000, then, A’s income can be,
A. Rs. 3000 B. Rs. 4000 C. Rs. 9000 D. Rs. 6000
4. The students in three batches in school is in the ratio of 2:3:5. If 20 students in each batch are increased than the ratio changes to 4:5:7. The total number of students in the three before the increase was,
A. 100 B. 10 C. 90 D. 150
5. Divide the amount of Rs. 500 between P, Q, R, and S such that P and Q together get the thrice as much as R and S together. Q gets four times of what R geta and R gets 1.5 times as much as S. Now the value that Q gets will be
A. 75 B. 125 C. 150 D. 300
6. Rs. 2250 is divided among three friends Ajay, Vijay, and Raj in such a way that 1/6th of Ajay’s share, 1/4th of Vijay’s share and 2/5th of Raj’s share is equal. Find Ajay’s share.
A. Rs. 1080 B. Rs. 720 C. Rs. 450 D. Rs. 1240
7. After an increase of 7 in both numerator as well as the denominator, the fraction changes to 3/4. What was the original fraction?
A. 5/12 B. 7/9 C. 2/5 D. 3/8
8. Divide Rs. 680 among P, Q, and R such that P gets 2/3 of what Q gets and Q gets 1/4 of what R gets. Find the share of R.
A. Rs. 480 B. Rs. 360 C. Rs. 420 D. Rs. 300
1. D. None of the above
2. C. 7:5
3. D. Rs. 6000
4. A. 100
5. D. 300
6. A. Rs. 1080
7. C. 2/5
8. A. Rs. 480
Part 2: Proportion Practice Questions
Directions: For this section, the questions related to proportions are asked
1. If a/(b + c) = b/(c + a) = c/(a + b), then each fraction will be equal to,
A. (a + b + c)^2 B. ½ C. ¼ D. 0
2. If a:b = c:d, then the value of a2 + b2/c2 + d2 is,
A. ½ B. (a + b)/(c + d) C. (a – b)/(c – d) D. ab/cd
3. If 6×2 + 6y2 = 13xy, what is the ratio of x to y?
A. 1:4 B. 4:5 C. 3:2 D. 1:2
4. If a, b, c, d are in continued proportion then a – d/b – c>/x. What is the value of x?
A. 2 B. 1 C. 0 D. 3
5. If P varies as R, and Q varies as R, then which of the following is false?
A. (P + Q) varies R B. (P – Q) varies 1/R C. √PQ varies R D. PQ varies R2
6. If a and b are positive integers than √2 always lies between:
A. (a + b)/(a – b) and ab B. a/b and (a + 2b)/(a + b) C. a and b D. ab/(a + b) and (a – b)/ab
1. B. ½
2. D. ab/cd
3. C. 3:2
4. D. 3
5. B. (P – Q) varies 1/R
6. B. a/b and (a + 2b)/(a + b)
Part 3: Miscellaneous ratio and proportion questions
Directions: In this section, various types of ratio and proportion questions are given.
1. If 4 examiners can examine a certain number of answer books in 8 days by working 5 hours a day, for how many hours a would 2 examiners have to work in order to examine twice the number of answer books in 20 days?
A. 8 B. 6 C. 7½ D. 9
2. Three friends decided to rent a farm for Rs 7000 per year. A outs 110 cows in the farm for 3 months, B puts 110 cows for 6 months and C puts 440 cows for 3 months. Find the total percentage of expenditure that A should pay.
A. 20% B. 16.66% C. 14.28% D. 11.01%
3. At constant temperature, the pressure of a definite mass of a gas is inversely proportional to the volume. If the pressure given is reduced by 20%, find the respective change in the volume.
A. +25% B. -25% C. +16.66% D. -16.66%
4. A group of people row a certain course up the river in 84 minutes; they can row the same course downstream in 9 minutes less than they can row it in the still river. How long would they take to row down with the river?
A. 45 or 23 minutes B. 60 minutes C. 19 minutes D. 63 or 12 minutes
5. If 30 men working 7 hours a day can do a piece of work in 18 days, in how many days will 21 men working 8 hours a day do the same work?
A. 30 days B. 22.5 days C. 24 days D. 45 days
6. If the ratio of the sine of the angles of triangles is given as 1:1:√2, then the ratio of the square of the greatest side to the sum of the squares of the other two sides is
A. 3:4 B. 2:1 C. 1:1 D. 1:2
7. A mixture of milk and water are in the ratio of 5:1. By adding 5 liters of water, the ratio of the milk to water becomes 5:2. The quantity of milk in the mixture is:
A. 16 litres B. 25 litres C. 24 litres D. 22.75 litres
1. A. 8
2. C. 14.28%
3. A. +25%
4. D. 63 or 12 minutes
5. B. 22.5 days
6. C. 1:1
7. B. 25 litres