Have you ever seen a speaker addressing audience? How do they grab the attention of the audience? What they mostly care about? A speaker grabs the attention of the general masses by their engaging choice of word.
A speaker, in general, is most careful about the word choice. What will happen if they do not pay attention to the word choice? An improper word choice leads to a certain misunderstanding. The worst situation would be that the audience starts to revolt.
Some of them may even leave the hall or that place. In this section, we are going to study word choice. Also, we will learn the importance of word choice.
Browse more Topics Under Essential Of Good English
- Choice of Words
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Parts of a Speech
- Sentence Construction
- Spelling and Pronunciations
- Prefixes and Suffixes
- Idioms and Phrases
A word is the simplest part of any language. While communicating or delivering any ideas or thoughts, one must use a proper word. Word choice is a person’s choice or selection of words. There are many factors which determine or compel a person for a word choice. A word choice is an important part of any communication.
It is a manner in which something is expressed in words. The choice of words is the style of expression. A person, in general, chooses words to which he feels comfortable, confident, and simple enough for a general audience to understand.
Importance of Word Choice
A person must develop the habit of using correct words. While speaking or writing, one must use the most appropriate word. One must learn the importance of correct word choice. Some of them are
- If a person is using an incorrect word, the message delivered is not meant.
- Incorrect word choice leads to the misunderstanding among the audience.
- It sometimes makes a situation awkward and unclear.
- Sometimes, an incorrect word makes no sense.
- Correct word choice increases the impact on one’s mind.
- It reveals the attitude and personality of a person.
Ways of Improving the Choices of Words
There are many words available to express one’s emotions. A speaker or a writer thus feels the trick of using the correct word amongst the given one. There are many ways in which a person can choose a word more appropriately. Some of them are
- Focus on the tone of diction or communication.
- Pick words that match with the tone.
- Use a dictionary or thesaurus for finding synonyms and antonyms.
- Focus on the age-group of the audience.
- Improve your vocabulary.
- Learn some metaphors.
- Learn the meaning of the words as much as you can.
- Use new words in sentences for practice.
- Differentiate between parts of speech. Learn the difference between the words used as a noun, adverbs, verbs or adjective.
- Avoid redundancies.
- Avoid awkward, vague and unclear word.
- Do not use the word only because others are using it.
- Replace general words with more specific ones.
- Learn to use a single word in different situations to give different meanings.
- Use bias-free language or word.
- Use politically correct words.
- Try to use words clearly and only when needed.
- Try to simplify your content or writing before delivering.
- Use proper diction.
- Avoid slang.
- Avoid jargon.
- Practice a lot.
Solved Example on Word Choice
Problem: Substitute correct words for the following
- Regardless of the fact
- Concerning the matter of
- Due to the fact that
- At that point in time
- In the process of
- During the course of
- I came to the realization that
- In the event that
- Regardless of the fact – Although
- Concerning the matter of – About
- Due to the fact that – Because
- At that point in time – Then
- In the process of – During, while
- During the course of – During
- I came to the realization that – I realized that
- In the event that – If