Capital Letters: Everything you start writing starts with a capital letter. As children, we learned our names always start with a capital letter. But like everything else in grammar, there are certain rules and logic that go even behind the usage of capital letters. In this chapter, we will learn all about Capital Letters.
Capital Letters: Usage
1. Beginning of a sentence: A sentence always starts with capitalization. Like in every sentence you will see in this article. The beginning of the sentence has been done with a word that starts with a capital letter. For example:
- My brother enjoys playing football.
- Nilesha has beautiful long hair.
- She sells sea shells on the sea-shore.
Browse more Topics under Punctuation
- Introduction to Punctuation
- Exclamation Mark
- Full Stop
- Inverted Commas / Quotation Marks
- Question Mark
2. Names and titles of people: The first letter of names of people, persons or places are always capitalized. So is the first letter of a title. For example:
- The President of the United States
- Frank Sinatra
- The Headmaster of Yale University
- Doctor Linklater
3. Months of the year: First letter is capitalized of all months of the year. For example:
- Come home in April
- She goes to town in May
4. Days of the week: Just like the months, even the first letters of the days of the week are capitalized. Let’s see some examples:
- Come to study on Monday
- We go to the church every Sunday
- She leaves town this Thursday
5. The first person pronoun – I: Well this one stays capitalized always. Never will you see this pronoun not being capitalized. For example:
6. Titles of books, movies and works:
- A Thousand Splendid Suns
- Anne Frank
- The Three Musketeers
- Lord of the Rings
- Game of Thrones
7. Capitalise when talking about holidays:
- We are going to celebrate Easter today
- Diwali is a festival of lights
- Christmas is the happiest time of the year
- Holi is a festival of colors
8. Name of seasons are capitalized:
- Spring brings a lot of blooming flowers along
- One can ski in Winters in Manali
- We will find many leaves falling in Autumn
9. Names of continents and countries always start with capitalized letters:
- Asia has many scuba diving sites
- My brother bought the finest olive oil from Italy
- Australia is a land of many animals
10. Names of cities, towns, villages:
- I hail from Delhi
- My sister lives in Vijayawada
11. Names of regions, districts and states:
- Nashik city comes in the district of Maharashtra
12. Names of things like mountains, lakes, oceans like the Atlantic ocean, Bhrigu lake, the Alps.
13. Names of languages like Hindi, English, Spanish.
14. Nationalities also start with a capital letter: The French, Indian, Spanish, Vietnamese.
15. Names of streets, buildings, and parks: Central Park, the Empire State Building, the White House.