In view of the coronavirus pandemic, we are making LIVE CLASSES and VIDEO CLASSES completely FREE to prevent interruption in studies
Biology > Cell the Unit of Life > Cytoplasm – Function and Facts
Cell the Unit of Life

Cytoplasm – Function and Facts

Introduction to Cytoplasm Function

As most of us know that our cells have a thick liquid. Furthermore, according to experts, this thick liquid is the cytoplasm.

The cytoplasm is a very important part of our cells. Moreover, it serves various functions that are important to the health of cells.

cytoplasm

What is Cytoplasm

It contains all the contents that are outside the nucleus. Furthermore, it exists inside the cell membrane of the cell. Moreover, it looks like a gel and is clear in colour.

Its main composition is of water. On the other hand, it has many other organic molecules. These molecules are of enzymes, salts, and organelles.

Cytoplasm supports the organelles and cellular molecules during various processes. Such processes are respiration,  protein synthesis, etc.

Functions of Cytoplasm

First of all, organelles are tiny structures present within the cytoplasm. Furthermore, they perform some functions in bacteria or the prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells of plants and animals.

It also helps in moving things around the cells such as hormones. Moreover, it dissolves any cellular useless waste that might occur.

Cytoplasm keeps moving the items around the cell. Experts call this process as cytoplasm streaming.

It has multiple salts and it also conducts electricity in a decent way. The cytoplasm is a mode of transport for genetic material inside the cell.

Above all, it is a buffer for protecting the genetic material of the cell. Also, it keeps the organelles away from damage when they displace and collide with each other.

If a cell is without this thick solution,  it could not get its shape back and would be flat and deflated. In the solution of a cell, the organelles would not stay suspended without the support of the cytoplasm.

Parts

It has two head components: the endoplasm and ectoplasm. Endoplasm is present in the centre of the cytoplasm, and it consists of organelles. The ectoplasm is a gel-like substance on at the outer area of this solution of the cell.

Characteristics 

It is a heterogeneous mixture of both opaque granules and organic compounds. The mixture of these two components gives it a colloidal nature.

Furthermore, this colloidal nature is essential in suspending the organelle inside the liquid of the cell. In it, there are particles of various shapes and sizes.  The particles are at a place inside the cell.

It also includes enzymes. In it, there are particles like carbohydrates and inorganic salts.

The layer that is present at the outermost part is the plasmogel. Also, this layer can absorb or remove water. It works on the basis of the need of cells for liquid. Experts call it as the stomatal guard cell the leaves of the plants.

The chemical composition of the cytoplasm consists of 90 per cent of water. The remaining 10 per cent consists of inorganic compounds. Also, these compounds are different in proportions.

Cytoplasm Analogy

The best way to represent the whole cell is through an analogy. Also, this analogy can be that of a restaurant that enables us to see a larger picture of cytoplasm.

In this analogy, the cell represents the entire restaurant. This is because it requires many parts inside for functioning as the cells have organelles. The organelles are there for some specific reasons.

The cell membrane represents the doors of the restaurant as the doors allow people to enter or to exit. Likewise, the membrane controls what items can enter and what items can exit the entire cell.

Solved Question For You

Ques. What is the other name for the cell membrane of cells?

(A). Carbon membrane.
(B). Endoplasmic membrane.
(C). Plasma membrane.
(D). Lipid Membrane.

Ans. (C). Plasma membrane.

Download Toppr app for Android and iOS or signup for free.

Share with friends

Customize your course in 30 seconds

Which class are you in?
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th
10th
11th
12th
Get ready for all-new Live Classes!
Now learn Live with India's best teachers. Join courses with the best schedule and enjoy fun and interactive classes.
tutor
tutor
Ashhar Firdausi
IIT Roorkee
Biology
tutor
tutor
Dr. Nazma Shaik
VTU
Chemistry
tutor
tutor
Gaurav Tiwari
APJAKTU
Physics
Get Started

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of

Get Question Papers of Last 10 Years

Which class are you in?
No thanks.